...Sogo Box

 Last time I wrote about my first puzzle (not really but sort of) so I figured I would follow up with my most recent.

These days, most of what I buy is either Hanayama or Karakuri, with the odd Pelikan or Wood Wonder (and hopefully soon Ars Aenigma) scattered in for variety. I almost miss the early days of buying anything and everything indiscriminately, but now I know what I like and I generally stick to it. I leave the high-end metal SD chasing to others, and the small-run, list-based releases of Stickman & the like will always be out of my reach, I think. I like the bits-of-paper-in-a-hat, equal-opportunity approach of the Karakuri lotteries.

I'm not really one to chase unicorns either. The rarity and value of older pieces only leads to disappointment (that said, everyone that knows me knows I desperately want a Karakuri Rose, I solve Allard's copy every time I'm down there,ut there are many, many things I would desperately want if I allowed myself to, the Ferris Wheel, Ukulele, Trumpet, Piano, the Waterfall and Lotus boxes, etc, etc, etc). I keep an eye on auctions just because there will sometimes be things that fly under the radar, which leads me to... 

Sogo is from Shou Sugimoto, made in 2019 so juuust before my time. I was able to pick this up on Puzzle Paradise for a very reasonable price without knowing too much about it, other than that I liked the outside. It has a very pretty outside, just like my wife. 

Can an idiot solve Sogo Box? 

Yes, without too much difficulty 

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that it's a variation on the classic sliding panel boxes that the Japanese makers do so well. I like the amount of different tricks that can be used in the same form factor, and this one has a very pleasing, not terribly difficult, sequence of motions. Fun to play with. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...the 2025 Karakuri Christmas Presents?

...MPP?

...Kleeshay Box